ONLINE MIDDLE SCHOOL PLACEMENT EXAMS
Middle School Placement Exams – Math and Language Arts
Need help choosing your child's middle school math or language arts courses?
By taking the time to have your child complete one or more of our middle school placement exams, you can better determine which level math or language arts course will be the best fit. Before taking the exam, please review the guidelines below. Then, follow the grading instructions below.
- 6th Grade Math Exam
- 7th Grade Math Exam
- 8th Grade Math Exam
- 6th Grade Language Arts Exam
- 7th Grade Language Arts Exam
8th grade Language Arts is a required course to demonstrate completion of 8th grade for high school enrollment.
Preparing to Take the Exams
- You should set aside at least one hour for your child to complete an exam. If he or she cannot complete the exam in one sitting, plan on finishing the exam in no more than two sessions.
- Take a short amount of time prior to beginning the exam to set up your child's work area. You should set up an area with little to no distractions. Avoid high traffic areas of your home. And, be sure everyone in the surrounding area knows how important it is for your child to be taking this exam. Be sure your child has access to paper and pencils so you don't have to search for these items when needed.
Taking the Exams
- All questions should be attempted. Be sure to use the space provided to solve problems. The back of the exam sheet can also be used if needed. Write the answer in the proper location so when the exam is being graded, the answers are easy to find. Write clearly and accurately.
- Be sure to answer the questions completely and avoid answers containing more than one possibility. Your child should feel confident enough about the answer to clearly state it. If he or she absolutely gets stuck on a question, leave the question blank.
- Your child should do his or her own work. No outside resources or friends or family members should assist with the exam. Remember, the goal is to help you place your child into the correct Keystone course. If your child does not do his or her own work, the results may not accurately reflect your child's placement level and you may enroll in a course for which he or she is not ready.
- The results are yours to keep and are not shared with Keystone in any way unless you choose to do so.
Grading the Exams
A parent, guardian, teacher, tutor or other educational professional may grade the exam using the following keys:
- 6th Grade Math Answer Key
- 7th Grade Math Answer Key
- 8th Grade Math Answer Key
- 6th Grade Language Arts Answer Key
- 7th Grade Language Arts Answer Key
- All answers should be marked as "Correct" or "Incorrect." One ("1") point should be awarded for each correct answer. The essay question is worth 20 points; use the essay table section of the answer key to determine the score. At the bottom of each page, record the total points awarded for that page.
- Using the Results Table, locate the exam by name. Next, locate the score that was achieved on the exam. Corresponding to this score, you will find a recommended action plan.
- The results may indicate the need to complete another Placement Exam. If so, choose the correct placement exam above and complete it as noted.
- Once all appropriate exams have been completed, course selections can be made. Be sure to refer to the Results Table for additional suggestions for choosing courses. After choosing your courses, view our course catalog for course details.
For more information about our Middle School Courses and Curriculum, please call us at 800.255.4937 or submit your inquiry online using our contact form.